What does weight maintenance mean to you? Is it something you struggle with?
I have been beating myself up recently because I can get down to 131 or 130 but I can't keep it there. I easily bounce up to 133 or 134 during the week. Because of this minor fluctuation, I THOUGHT that I was not succeeding at this maintenance game.
BUT I AM SUCCEEDING.
WHY, you ask? Because I've been reading around (very non-scientifically, of course) and discovered that 'maintenance' is actually keeping your weight within 3-5 lbs of your goal weight. So, I don't have to keep it exactly at 130 every day, all day long. Might seem like a "DUH POM" statement to some of you. BUT It's been hard to get it through my thick skull that when I step on the scale and there's a slight increase that I'm not on a slippery slope to the Land of the Chub again.
My 5 Step Maintenance Game
1. Continue to weigh myself - 2 or 3 times per week (only in the morning and only after a run!)
2. Nip any potential gains in the bud! If I see an increase, go back to my diet basics!
3. Play the numbers game - if I'm running less, eat less calories. If I'm running more, I can allow for more calories.
4. Stick with my routine (food & exercise) and MIX it up once in a while - keep it fun. Get back to weights, add some spin classes back in, go hiking, etc.
5. Keep exercise a priority. This is difficult when starting new relationships, keeping up with friendships, etc. But I don't want to fall into the trap of putting my exercise 2nd.
* Had a "crappy" run this morning and had to turn around early (note to self - bean burritos are bad).
* Running 10 miles tomorrow before 14 hour work day/event.
* Making dinner for The Aggressor tonight.
* Heading to San Diego on Saturday to chillax at the Hard Rock Hotel.
Song of the Day: How the Day Sounds by Greg Laswell