Thursday, January 31, 2008
I was telling my mom about my race this weekend (she doesn't read my blog and has no idea what I'm up to). She said "Too bad you don’t get paid or something for all that running." I didn't know how to respond to her because she just doesn’t get it.
Running is its own reward - physically AND mentally. We do it because it's part of who we are and we love it. Kinda like how she lights up a doobie and eats cheese dip for dinner every night. It's who she is, how do you explain that?
This got me thinking about all the benefits of running and what I have learned from it.
Here's a quick list:
1. Running has taught me that it's not supposed to be easy. If it was easy, the reward wouldn't be so great.
2. Waking up just an hour early (to run) can honestly change your life.
3. If I get a good run in, I can accomplish nothing else for the day and still feel accomplished.
4. Endorphins are the best mind altering substance.
5. Every day is different and brings a new challenge - just like every run. One might suck beyond belief, but that usually means that a good one is just around the corner.
What has running taught you?
Song of the day: Superstar by Sonic Youth (from the Juno soundtrack)
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
I started blogging in September of 2007. While this is such a short amount of time, I feel like I've learned so much. Thought I would share what I've learned thus far:
- Most people from Canada are funky/cool. I wish I was Canadian.
- I have things in common & can relate to all different "types" of people.
- Many other people are just as obsessive as I am about running and weight loss.
- SAHM are freakin' HI-LAR-IOUS. I wish I was a Stay At Home Mom.
- Mormons are funny too.
- My blog readers know more about me than my "real" family and friends.
- Motivating other people is sometimes easier than motivating yourself.
- Short hair cuts are really cute - I'm just too chicken and have a big head.
- My vocabulary skillz be increasin' - For example: Craptastic, Uff-da, swawesome, Shiznit, cheesetastic and so much more!
- If you want a lot of comments on your blog - post bathing suit pictures.
(Picture borrowed from viewimages.com)
I didn't run this morning for a few reasons:
1. I am sore from my weights work out on Sunday - I think I pushed myself a bit too hard.
2. I met up with the Captain and tossed back a few last night. There MIGHT have been some sweet moves busted to Vanilla Ice.
3. The bed was way to warm and cozy this morning to get up.
Visiting with my PT tonight for a final stretch out before the race on Sat. For anyone just starting to run, I HIGHLY recommend finding yourself a good Physical Therapist. Because at some point, you will need them! I'm actually not in any pain right now, but I want to make sure I'm all even and straight before Sunday.
So, is anyone else running the Surf City this weekend?
That's all I got today for ya.
Monday, January 28, 2008
I'm pissed off at work, and guess who I turn to...
I just need to bitch about a few work-related matters:
- Do NOT leave an hour long SLOW TALKIN' voice mail then say your phone number so damn fast that I can't catch it.
- Don't leave a long ass message, then ask me to call you back so you can REPEAT the same damn thing you JUST said on the message. A simple name and phone number will do.
- When I email you a question - email me a response. Do NOT call me. If I wanted to talk to you, I would have called instead of emailed.
- If I email you a simple question, we do NOT need to schedule an conference call with 3 different departments to get a simple answer. Step Up. Make a decision by yourself.
Alrighty, I feel much better.
Thanks guys :)
A good piece of news is that my body fat dropped a little - down to 26%.
My goal was to weigh 135 by my race next weekend. I am not going to cut my calories drastically this week because I need the energy for my race. So I will shoot for 135 for Hawaii - Feb 12th. Crap - still need to think about getting a new bathing suit. WAHHHHHHHHHHH
Song of the Day: Starry Eyed Surprise by Paul Oakenfold
Saturday, January 26, 2008
Friday, January 25, 2008
I got off work early and was heading to the dreadmill at the gym when I realized that the skies were temporarily clear. So I drove straight home, put on my running gear and hit the pavement. The first half was sweet (wind at my back) and I was crankin' a 9 min/mile. The way back was a little rough and I dropped back to a 10 min/mile. All in all, I got in 4 miles OUTSIDE with no rain in about 38 mins.
Yeah! If things go as planned, I will reach my 20 mile week goal!
This is a war people.
Me. Vs. My Jiggly Belly
My Jiggly Belly is Winning.
But there has been some serious sabotage going on behind the scenes.
1. My coworker, I won't name any names - AMANDA - brought in chocolate bars to help raise money for her kid's school. Now, if it's for the CHILDREN, how does one say no? So, I said yes, about 5 times.
2. The Captain and his tricks - last night his trick was bacon wrapped and finished off with some ice cream.
3. The Rain - even God is in on this little sabotage. It's been rainy and cold and NOT "runnable" in the morning.
I will win this battle. The sabotage stops now. I am going to the dreaded gym after work to get my miles in. I have been on a full avoid mode due to the New Years Resolutionists taking over. But now it's time to attack.
Plus I must get a 10 miler in tomorrow - rain or shine. I just hope I don't have to do it on a dreadmill.
Song of the Day: Winter Windows by Sea Wolf
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Not much else to report.
Ran 3 miles this morning sans Big G.
10 more days until my half marathon.
20 more days until Hawaii.
Now is NOT the time to start eating poorly.
Song of the day: My Sharona by The Knack
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
- I clock miles in my car everywhere I drive and wonder if I could "run it."
- My dirty laundry has tripled. So when I don't have any running gear, I just smell the pits of a dirty shirt to see if it's wearable for a run.
- I read "running blogs" religiously.
- I get WAY to excited over new tennis shoes.
- I get even more excited when I find cool running clothes at Target on sale.
- But I don't blink an eye at paying over $50 for a pair of ugly ass shorts because they will be my "race shorts."
- Garmin is my best pal and I even named him (Yes, he is a boy).
- My coworkers and family members are TOTALLY SICK of hearing me talk about running.
- I download about $30 in music a month - always on the search for something new to run to.
- I feel like the day is a waste if I don't run.
Do you do anything weird or differently since you've become a runner/jogger/woggler?
Song of the Day: Proper Education (club mix) by Eric Prydz
Monday, January 21, 2008
During my morning run I was seriously freezing my butt off. My nose was burning, eyes watering, lips chapping, teeth aching, calves cramping from the frigid cold and wind. But when I got to my turn around point and the wind was at my back - it was awesome! I give you cold weather runners "mad props." I don't know how you do it.
Here are the numbers:
Morning Weight: 139
Song of the Day: Silver Lining by Rilo Kiley
Sunday, January 20, 2008
After my run, I headed to the hospital to welcome my new niece Baby Gracie into the world. She surprised us and came about a month early, but she is healthy and perfect and I adore her already.
Since my sister was on bed rest and staying at her in-laws for a month, her house was in shambles. So I stayed the night at her house while they were in the hospital. I dusted, swept, mopped, did some laundry, put together the baby bassinet, then went grocery shopping for her.
The grocery shopping was tricky. You see, I eat like a healthy SINGLE woman. My sister has a 2.5 yr old and a husband who eats like a teenage boy. When I was buying the CRAP that they eat, I was totally thinking "Oh my God, what would Mrs. F. say about this shit?" She would totally die. So I did my best to get food that they would eat - and tried to be as healthy as possible.
Anyway, it was fun playing house for a day. I think I'd be pretty good at it on a full time basis. Someday.
Friday, January 18, 2008
But it sucked. I couldn't get my breathing right -my heart rate sky rocketed and stayed between 170 and 190. I ended up turning around early and only got in 3.3 miles. When I stopped, I felt like I was going to toss my cookies all over the sidewalk. I didn't even EAT any cookies.
So this freaks me out. I MUST run at least 8 miles tomorrow, then 10 the following week to feel slightly confident that I can finish the half marathon (16 days from now). I am in such worse cardio condition then I was just 3 months ago. I don't get it. Alright - no negative thinking. I'm going to kick ass tomorrow.
Here are the stats:
Mile 1: 9:44
Mile 2: 10:09
Mile 3: 10:05
Then some chump change at the end.
Song of the day: The Wreckoning by Boomkat
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Yes my peeps, I am crazy - that's not in question. HOWEVAH>>> I have 3 trips in the next few months that will require bathing suits. This got me thinking... and I can't BELIEVE I am going to do this, but maybe it will be motivational to me (and hopefully some of you, too).
So here we go. Bathing Suit Pics. SCARY!!!!! Not for the faint at heart. WARNING!
The first pic is me in 2005 - weighing in at 168 lbs. After I saw these pictures, I knew something had to change. Of course it wasn't until winter that year (and my 30th bday) that I finally made some changes. Besides my big ol' tummy and thunder thighs, my FACE was so fat! ICK.
Fast forward to Summer of 2006 - 7 months of eating healthy and a couple months of running. I had dropped to 134 (my current lowest weight ever). I went on a trip to Hawaii, where this pic was taken.
NOW - here is where I'm at - Stuck at about 139. Only 5 lbs difference but it's all in the belly. I have not changed my exercise routine BUT I was eating and drinking more. For me- weight loss is all about food/drink.
I have less than a month before heading back to Hawaii. I would love to get back to where I was in 2006 and I know what I need to do. So let's do this thing! And yes, I am wearing the same suit so I really I do need to go bathing suit shopping. That's worse than jeans shopping. Eek Gads!
Song of the Day: Queen of Apology by The Sounds
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Mile 1: 10:03
Mile 2: 9:54
Mile 3: 10:28
Monday, January 14, 2008
Well last night The Captain said he doesn't like being around me when I drink. I guess sometimes I pick fights and I'm kinda mean.
Sunday, January 13, 2008
Saturday, January 12, 2008
Friday, January 11, 2008
them for a little spin this afternoon!
Looks like my new kicks helped me to kick
Mile 1: 10:14
Mile 2: 9:22
Mile 3: 9:24
Mile 4: 9:12
Tomorrow I am changing it up a bit. I always run the same path - hey I live walking distance to the beach. But tomorrow I am DRIVING to "back bay" to run with my Marathon Training Buddy. I'm sccccrrrrddd cuz there are hills. POM don't do no hills. This should be interesting. I'll update ya'll tomorrow.
PS: I am a new HUGE fan of Mizunos!!!!!!!
Thursday, January 10, 2008
Let's all welcome Anita the Tanita to the group. Anita's responsibilities will include daily updates on the following:
- Current Weight
- Body Fat
- Body Water %
I'm going to start off on the right foot with Anita and be really nice to her, in hopes that the bitch will reciprocate. In order to maintain a certain amount of control and sanity, there will be a few ground rules:
- Only weigh once a day - in the morning, naked
- No obsessive/compulsive activity (yeah, who am I kidding?)
I totally want to take her out of the box right now at work and weight myself, but it will prove my craziness to my coworkers (and they don't need any more ammo against me).
PS: That pic is really bad - my nose isn't that long. Well, maybe it is. And nice bags under the eyes & wrinkles. Sweetness.
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
Tuesday, January 8, 2008
But what a difference a day makes.
Hallelujah for Hand Me Downs
I am not too proud to except hand-me-down clothing. Especially from my boss. Last night when we were leaving work, she said, "Hey Jess, come to my car, I have some stuff for you." Let me tell ya... a few little treasures like this can cheer any gal up:
A little Diane VonFurstenberg Top
A pair of Paper Denim Jeans (a little muffin-top-esque, but I'm working on that)
A pair of Laundry Slacks
And a bunch of cute tops, 2 sundresses
Basically - I scored big time :)
Fanatic for Friends
How freakin' lucky am I that my running partner hears I'm down and shows up at my house with a bottle of wine and amazing advice??!!!
And tonight, my other great friend is taking me for post-work martinis! Flippin Sweet.
Revamped on Running
I think I'm really back. I got my runs in last weekend and felt pretty good. I woke up this morning and got in a couple miles. Chatting with my running partner last night we both reminisced on our favorite run during marathon training and decided we need to get back to doing long runs together. I know I need to get my nutrition back on track - being sick and depressed has me not eating healthy or enough of the right foods. Hopefully running will help bring back my appetite.
I'm still waiting for my two new toys to arrival in the mail - Big G and "the Scale." I guess I need to name the "The Scale." But maybe I should meet her first and see how I feel about her before I name her. I'm sure we will have a love/hate relationship, so maybe I will call her bitch. But then she might be mean to me, so maybe I should call her something nicer. hmmm - I'll keep ya "posted."
Song of the Day: The Way I Am by Ingrid Michealson (I think I already had this song, but I really like it)
Monday, January 7, 2008
Good news and bad news.
Bad: I drank.
Good: I ran.
I am still waiting for my scale to come in the mail, then it's full commitment back to the Holiday Weight Loss Challenge. Less than a month left! Are you guys still committed to it? Update me!
Song of the Day: Love Bites (remix) by QED
Friday, January 4, 2008
Thursday, January 3, 2008
I still have this freakin' cold. Going on day 11 here.
It sucks big boogers.
Yesterday I decided to stop the DayQuil/NyQuil Dance and switch it up to Mucinex. I really think that most over-the-counter drugs just mask your symptoms, but don't really solve your issues. I thought Mucinex would actually help get all the crap out of my body.
Let me tell ya. Last night sucked. I tossed and turned for at least 4 hours before falling asleep at 1:30 am. So there is no way in HELL I am going to attempt to wake up at 5:30 to run. I didn't know that Mucinex is Swahili for CRACK. That shit kept me awake all night. Or maybe it's the detoxing from NyQuil. Whatever it is - I am a zombie today with lovely black circles around my eyes and the WORST sinus headache I have ever had.
In better news - it looks like 2008 will be the Year of the Gadgets for me. Big G (my Garmin) has officially "Shipped" and yesterday I took Mrs. Furious's advice and ordered the Tanita InnerScan™ Body Composition Monitor! I just hope I will be able to figure out how to work all these crazy contraptions. (Please note that setting my watch is challenging enough).
Anyone have any other remedy's for nagging colds????? Do you run with colds or not? I am running Saturday come hell or high snot count.
Tuesday, January 1, 2008
We had a fun night with friends at home celebrating and playing games. And yes, party hats were involved. Don't you know I'm loco like that. I thought this pic was appropriate since the Captain hates his pic on the Internet. ha ha. And once again, my mouth is OPEN. Typical.
So here are the goals for 2008:
1. No drinking for 2 weeks starting today. We went to brunch and I turned up my nose at a Bloody Mary. Really, I did. It wasn't easy. But I can do this for 13 more days. I might even push it past 2 weeks but starting slowly. Baby Steps.
2. Run 20 miles a week minimum.
3. Get to 135 and stay there.
A. Buy a scale.
B. Don't be crazy.
4. Run Half Marathon in Feb and at least 3 other races this year. (One per quarter perhaps)
That's enough for now. Happy new year everyone.
Song of the Day: One Way or Another by Blondie