Thursday, June 3, 2010

It Only Works If you Work It

I think the world is divided up between two people: rule followers and rule breakers. I am definitely a rule follower.

This especially applies to yoga. If you've ever taken a Bikram class, you know there are some basic rules.
  • No shoes/socks in the yoga room.
  • No talking in the yoga room.
  • Look at yourself - straight ahead (wonky eyes is my BIGGEST peeve in yoga).
  • Don't drink water in middle of pose.
  • Don't be wonky in the middle of a pose, especially balancing poses
  • Try your best (remember it's called 'practice' for a reason)

There are more, but these are the ones that I can remember right now.

On to my story - this new chick walked in to yoga and by the way she signed in, I knew she was a rule breaker - and an annoying one at that. She had a very muscular physique, which she made sure everyone in the lobby knew it was because she surfed everyday. Whatever, that's fine. But she was definitely the type of girl that wants all eyes on her. By the way, she was not pretty in a conventional sense, but she was attractive, natural, a typical surfer type.

As class was beginning, the teacher introduced the new people. When she walked by surfer chick, the teacher made a comment about how fit she was. (The teacher is nice and very personable with everyone.) I should note that the owner of the studio was positioned behind me and the new girl was positioned to the side of her. Both were in my line of vision (without my eyes being wonky all over the room).

It was quite obvious that new girl was just not into yoga - like she thought it was too easy or she was too good for it. You could tell my her expressions, eye rolling, etc. I also noticed that she put about 20% energy into her poses. For example, one pose you are supposed to grab behind your heels - she had her hands barely below her knees and was looking around the room, instead of down.

Throughout class, the teacher observes everyone and checks. About half way through the class, she asked surfer chick how she was doing.

Surfer chick responded, "meh, I'm barely sweating."

(Please note: the class was super crowded which makes the room muy caliente mas. I am estimating it at about 110 degrees.)

The owner of the studio piped up and said, "work harder then."

I LOVED IT.

Lesson of the day: You get out of it what you put in!

14 comments:

Amy - the gazelle said...

WONKY EYES!

I hate people like that, glad the studio owner piped up. :)

(I, too, am mostly a rule follower)

Unknown said...

i love it. This applies to everything. Love it.

Jocelyn said...

Hahha! Love it. I would have wanted to push her over during a pose!

Emily said...

I like this story!

Bootchez said...

I too am a rule follower. I've been doing Bikram for about six months, though, and I STILL get all wonky in thebalancing poses. Wobble, fall over, step out. Klutz! I've gotten WAY better with wonky eye!

Amy said...

I love those moments!!!

I would last about 2 seconds in yoga...for some many reasons.

Carly said...

LOL! I love it. I can't stand people like that. I am glad the instructor called her out.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Ha. I love that the owner said that. I hope it somewhat put her in her place! I can't stand people like that!!

Delane said...

If you not in defcon5 puke mode your first Bikram class something is wrong with you.

Even when I go daily, I'm at defcon 3 most days.

audgepodge said...

Ewww... surfer chick sounds super obnoxious.

LOVED that the owner put her in her place. I'm one of those lame people that have good retorts but only 30 min later and I'd be too chicken to use them anyway.

Laura said...

LOVE IT!

Romance said...

That is hilarious! I loved bikram because it was such a 125% kind of practice - and I think its wickedly funny to say you are barely sweating in a crowded bikram studio.. brilliant in fact

carrie said...

That's awesome!

Chocolate & Chants said...

Hmmm...sometimes I look around the room and check out other people because i'm not sure if i'm doing a pose correctly...i'm hoping there's nothing wrong with that!