Friday, February 12, 2010

Overwhelmed

I was laying in bed last night thinking how to attack the come back. I am going to have to piecemeal it I think.

The best place to start is to explain why I quit writing.

But I have to go back a little first. Back in August, I didn't really go into details about my job situation. Most of you knew I was a meeting planner and that I had a few trips (Canada and Maui) then BAM - no job. I knew it was coming. We had no business to speak of. Everyone had been laid off but me. So the day I returned from Maui, I was told that I had 2 weeks left and to start cleaning out the office. I immediately started looking for a new job(to be honest I was looking a little before). You read my horrible first interview. Apparently so did all the Asian Spam world.

So on my last day, I find out that my former company was also filing bankruptcy and low and behold, they were not going to be able to pay me for my last two events. Nice, huh? After 10+ years of working for them. I was pretty hurt by this, but mostly angry. But I don't want to speak any more of this.

But I freaked out.
I had a mortgage. I needed a plan and fast.

Luckily, it pays to have friends in high places. My girlfriend called me on my first day of being unemployed and said "I have a job interview for you. And I know they will hire you." I had an interview the next day and was offered the job by the end of the week.
Schwing!

BUT (there is always a big butt) I was worried my new job would find out about my blog. I didn't know their policy on the whole thing. I wasn't very good about being anonymous considering my pictures are all over the blog. AND I have a serious problem with putting my entire dating life drama on the freakin' Internet. To make matters more confusing my new job is involved in political and legal arenas. So there's that.

In my typical way of dealing with this, I didn't deal with it. I just climbed under my favorite rock, oh so comfy it is.

There it is. Stay tuned for more....

29 comments:

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Well, first, congratulations on the new job!

Second, the blog may be ok. Don't talk about work and don't put your real name in here. You'll be ok.

Also? Never blog or look at your blog from work.

Glad you are back!

marie said...

YAY!!!!

Mistyfied said...

glad your back.

Chic Runner said...

Glad you have returned my <3 :) Welcome welcome welcome how I've missed you

MB said...

I'm glad you ended up on your feet with a new job. I know all about being hurt. I got laid off (sort of) after 11 years but I'm over it and enjoying (f)unemployment.

I'm looking forward to the next installment ....

Jocelyn said...

Well we are glad you are back. Probably smart to stay out of the internet world for a while.

movelegsquickly said...

I'm new to this whole blog thing and I am usually just a blogstalker, but this is so exciting! You are a huge inspiration and I love reading your blog! Welcome back!

teacherwoman said...

Congrats on getting a new job. I was thinking about you the other day when I was going through my blog roll and looking at those who haven't posted in months!

Lily on the Road said...

Now aren't you glad you didn't pass that math test?

Good job on leaving us in suspense...P.O.M. is definitely back!

;^)

Jennifer Burgett said...

So glad you are back!!!!

Alisa said...

I work in politics too and have always been afraid that the blog would bite me in the ass. I google myself weekly to see what pops up---my blog usually isn't even on the first two pages. I also never (or hardly ever) talk about work. I never discuss specifics. So far hasn't been a problem. And honestly, if people ever do find it, so be it. This blog is mostly about my training and honestly, they should be proud their employee is taking care of herself and being healthy.

PS Congrats on the new job. (All that being said about my current job, i'm looking for a new one.)

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Welcome back - looking forward to getting all caught up in bite-sized pieces!!

Madison said...

You will not believe how much I have missed reading your funny stories. I was coming here for about a month before I realized that you were probably not coming back for a long time. :( I was hoping it was short but realized that you probably had a life outside of blogging. My blog life is complete now. Welcome back!

Julie D said...

Keep writing... I would like to hear the rest!

Kiki said...

Hey Lovely, I had to comment on this post because I felt like I would get lost on the 61 comments from the comeback post...which by the way....I'm so glad you have!!! I've missed you and can't wait to hear everything!!!!

Kelly said...

That makes total sense. Welcome back though!

Heather said...

Glad you're back - congrats on the new job!

E said...

Glad to see you are back!

Heather said...

So do we likey the new job? Are you running any races this year?

and for the love of god, how is the Captain?

Christie said...

So glad you're back and doing okay.

doctorval said...

You were right to pull back. I was dooced in July 2008. I didn't use my name, but I wrote about the industry. I didn't write about our company either. Or at least I didn't until they fired me. Then I did a crappy job of photoshopping the CEO's head on a picture of some conventioner with a Las Vegas show girl. And then I ran the picture like a bunch of times since then.

Don't get dooced. It sucks.

http://pinkbunnyears.com/?s=showgirl

carrie said...

Glad you're back! I was startin' to worry you had truly been abducted by the asian spammers.

Claudya Martinez said...

I can't wait for the next installment.

Carolina John said...

well i'm so glad to see you online again! wow, just when i thought you were gone for good. glad the new job is working out. googling someone is a common practice before hiring. i took a new job back in october and moved to NC. had to be very up front with them about the blog, but one of the appeals of the company was that the owners were runners and triathletes too. now i get to swim over lunch some days, and others i get to join the senior managers for a lunchtime mountain bike ride. it is as awsome as it sounds, and i hope your new job is just as awesome too.

Laura said...

Wow, looks like we both felt the same way and decided to make our comeback at about the same time! I too am totally unsure how to recap the last several months, especially since parts of it are things I'm not really willing to reveal... but glad to see we're in this together :)

Unknown said...

As I mentioned to Laura you're not the only one. I was getting THIS close to deleting your bookmark but I'm glad I didn't :) Now I guess I better get off my duff and start blogging more too, huh?

the Bag Lady said...

Glad you're back.
I was worried that you'd been kidnapped by Asian Spammers and all those comments were the ransom demands, but none of us could read them!
Whew. Glad it wasn't that!

Romance said...

Yay!!! So glad you are back

Susan said...

WELCOME BACK! Thank heavens!!!