Monday, October 20, 2008

Wedding Weekend

No, not my wedding. But my first wedding as an officiant (and probably my last). Here's the play by play:

Friday we had the rehearsal. It went very smooth. Obviously being an event planner made this part of the wedding easy for me. I am organized and I like bossing people around. Cool. Done. Piece of cake. The rehearsal dinner was super fun - lots of food, drinks and friends.

Saturday we slept in, then got ready for the wedding. I was not nervous at all, everything was rolling along smoothly. THEN the bride starts walking down the aisle with her parents. All of a sudden, I get that silly, girly, sore throat, I'm gonna cry - thing. And all of a sudden, they are in front of me. I know the words to say, but had notes just in case- THANK goodness!

I look down at my hands and they were shaking worse than I have ever seen any shake. I could not get them to stop shaking! We got through the wedding with only one or two mishaps, which turned out to be pretty funny in the end. I said something about putting the ring on the "bride of the finger." But everyone laughed and it was fine. It was finally over and I was sooooo relieved. We took some amazing pics on the beach - I will post some once I get them.

Then it was party time! The Captain was the best man and he was pretty nervous about his speech, but he did great. Had everyone laughing. Then the dancing started. Man I love weddings, especially after the hard stuff is over.

NOT that I ever want to have one, but going to other people's is really fun.

32 comments:

C said...

Way to go, Rev!

Ditto on your last sentence.

Sarah said...

Please - we all want a wedding! Good job on getting them married :)

Sarah said...

ok - I think there is chemistry with the Co-Worker. I'm aware of it. Maybe there is none for him! It's just annoying - and he's an elite runner, so he doesn't really give into the chemistry in a bottle plan - dang it! And eloping is still a wedding, just a tiny one. Which is actually the way I plan to go too :)

Jess said...

Nice job getting them married. I would have cracked up had I heard "bride of the finger" too lol!

Chic Runner said...

Ha, ha congrats... to them?! Can't wait to see pics.

Excited we are doing races together.. Finally and of course i'll drink with you at the wine one... Have you ever ran it before?

N.D. said...

That sounds so cool, you officiated it?? narly!!!

Alisa said...

I love that you are a Rev! VERY COOL!

Are you down for a fall blogger marathon meetup next fall 2009? Looks like Oct or Nov is what most are voting for.

Julianne said...

Haha. I did think you got married this weekend from the post title! That is awesome that you officiated the wedding. Did you get the certification online? I love other people's weddings, too. Mine was just too traumatic. Haha.

Unknown said...

Great job! That sounds pretty nerve-wrecking!

Unknown said...

Wahooooo! Nice work POM!! I could never do that - weddings ALWAYS make me cry, even if I am just the date and do not know the couple. Sounds like a LOVELY way to kick off their commitment to each other!

Jess said...

Stellar job with officiating!

Chic Runner said...

I do! Look me up, it's danica kooiman. and i went to concordia university.

BeachRunner said...

Fun. Actually sounds like a blast.

Marcy said...

Awwwwwhhhh yeah baby! Man, I should convince the Mr to get our vows renewed, I'd be all about the one and only POM being the Rev.

teacherwoman said...

WEddings can totally be a lot of fun. I love being a personal attendant as I get to see all the behind the scene stuff, but sometimes that can be tiring too!

the Bag Lady said...

Way Cool!!
That sounds like a great time!

M*J*C said...

Oooohhhh your name could really be "Rev RUN"!!! Sounds like it was really great, any chance we'll see some pictures?????

Amy - the gazelle said...

yay for your first wedding! sounds like a blast.

chia said...

I have no idea how you didn't burst into tears ;-) That's like marathon finish line tearjerkin'! Good job!!

Laurel said...

I love weddings too. Nothing like an open bar, free food and love in the air to make for good times.

That's awesome that you were officiating a wedding! And I have no idea how you didn't cry either.

Nikemom said...

I think I'd rather run 100 miles than officiate. I'm not much of a wedding person so I would suck as a rev. Oh well. Way to go girl! I'm sure you were better than you thought.:)

carla said...

I love other people's weddings as well.

mine? 10.00
justice of the peace.

worth every penny!

Susan said...

Good job Rev. POM!

Nitmos said...

Just wait til they have you do the baptism of their first born. Don't dunk too long.

Missicat said...

Wow, that is something I am not sure I could do! If IF IF I ever get hitched again, it will be something VERY non traditional. And cheap!

Shoe Running said...

Way to go! I have a friend who has married three friend-couples...once he'd done it once, all of his friends wanted him to marry them...

A one man marriage factory! He he :)

Aron said...

wow that is awesome!! i dont think i could handle the stress of marrying someone... i would get SO nervous!! sounds like you did an amazing job :)

Ali said...

sounds like it was a fun weekend!

Unknown said...

So cool! Sounds like lots of fun.

And echoing that last statement of yours:)

eurydice said...

are you and the captain back together? i can't imagine officiating a wedding... sounds intense!!! but a very nice and special thing to do. :)

Midwest said...

I officiated a wedding last year, and had the very same challenge of not crying! My voice broke at one point, but I pulled it off.

Unknown said...

Dear Rev POM,

We can't begin to express how much we appreciate your officiating services. 11 days and going strong!

XO,

Mr & Mrs Wedding Couple