Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Gift Giving 101

Although I took the post down, I did have a rag-on-dad day. So in all fairness, I'd like to share a little bit more about my mother. I've talked about her a few times in this blog. She is quite a character. Tying this into the holidays, let's talk about my mom and her gift giving.

It goes back as long as I can remember. As a child, when I was into barbies, my mom would get me a hula hoop. As a teen when I was into wearing all black, my mom would get me a pink frilly top. Then when I started wearing pink, she would buy me a black studded belt. It boils down to the fact that she just doesn't get me. Never has. Probably never will.

My sister and I learned that our best bet was to be really, really specific with her. A couple years ago we told her to get us some p.j.'s. I mean, can you really mess up jammies? Yes, yes you can. I ended up with a bright blue number with cartoon characters on them. In my entire life, I have never, ever worn ANYTHING with a cartoon character on it.

So I decided to get even more specific. She means well and wants to get us something that we want/need so I thought it would be helpful to just start sending her LINKS to exactly what we have in mind. I hate to see her wasting money on something that I will never use. So for my birthday I sent her a link of this eyeshadow primer that I wanted. It was about $25. BUT she didn't want to just get me the eyeshadow primer. So she got me a gift package that came with a VERY small sample of the primer, along with eyeshadow, eyeliner and GLITTER that cost about $45. People~ I am not a glitter person. Nor will I wear the eyeliner. So basically, she didn't listen, spent more money and didn't get me what I wanted. Just so typical of her.

I can't wait to see what's in store for Christmas!

25 comments:

Susan said...

... good luck...

Ali said...

I think we have the same mother

Chic Runner said...

No, no, you ARE a glitter girl. don't kid yourself! :)

My dad's parents are the same way.

One year I got a badmition set. Last year I got a tweety bird watch and birds on a little branch scuplture book ends... I have a fear of birds. COOL!

Anonymous said...

what about just asking for a gift card to xyz store? she can't go wrong with that can she?

Maggs said...

My mom is the same way, and she insists on spending a lot of money at christmas. I always feel guilty when I get stuff I won't ever use/wear. So I send her links to things too. This year I asked for a shower curtain with lavender in it or if not lavender, then a shower curtain and towels to match. I got a light blue shower curtain and purple bath rugs. Fortunately they came directly from where she ordered them so i can fix it...and she'll never know.

Hope you don't get a box of frosted flakes like I did.

Jess said...

Oh boy...good luck with that!

RunToTheFinish said...

I've been wanting to rag on my mother in law, but she may read my blog.. hmm hope the whole BFE thing goes over well.

Anyhow she is all about trinkets and presents are about quantity not quality, it drives me batty!!!

Jogger said...

Mom's are tricky little creatures, but we love them anyway.

Unknown said...

They mean well! But unfortunately some people never really "get" us.

audgepodge said...

She got you one of the Urban Decay sets, didn't she? The primer isn't bad but yeah, the glittery shadows drive me nuts! Oh well, it's the thought that counts :) Maybe you can exchange it for the full size primer?

chia said...

Merry Christmas POM :-*

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

Merry Christmas, and I understand!!!

Julianne said...

My mom doesn't listen either... Or actually, I think she only hears what she wants to...

Sounds like your mom tries, though?

N.D. said...

Hhaha. I'm picturing the blue PJs. Sounds like my aunt.

Denise said...

My mom is similiar...always has her heart in the right place but spends more money than she needs to on stuff that's not always our taste.

have a great holiday!

Brianna said...

Sounds like my mom, too . . . although I sometimes get the feeling that she gets me things she would like for herself. I hope I'm able to do a better job as a gift picker for my own daughter. We shall see!

X-Country2 said...

It wouldn't be Christmas without crazy parents. Tis the season.

Kim said...

I hate to think that people are wasting money on me too. But it seems that no matter how specific you get, some people just want to shop on their own... whether or not they should... ;)

Carolina John said...

you know, after you have kids you get to see your entire life through your mother's eyes. it really freaked me out. the point is your mother "gets" you more than you realize. even if she doesn't find the best gifts.

i bought my oldest her first bike today. merry christmas!

Petraruns said...

You know .. I used to feel the same. Now I'm a mother.. My daughter is getting an American Girl tomorrow - at great expense and effort - because I so hate the whole Bratz thing... I hope she forgives me when she has a daughter...

Alisa said...

It happens! Not so much with my family, they follow the list, BUT my in-laws, that's another story. Some do some don't.

Can't wait to hear about the glittery gift you get this year!

Sarah said...

It is possible that your mother is actually my sister!

Unknown said...

My family is the same way, you can tell them you want A, they think you must not realize that you really want B, and you wind up feeling guilty for not wearing/using/loving B and having to got spend your own money on A, ahhh oh well, tis the season

J~Mom said...

Oh boy!! Isn't it nice to be listened to?

Kristin said...

HAHAHA... I did the same thing this year... always having the same problem you did. However I got lucky and the link thing was the best thing I ever did for myself... gla dyou got some earings you liked!!