Monday, May 25, 2009

Purge-alicious

I'm finally all settled into my new pad. My TV isn't set up but I can connect to someones Internet so that's all the entertainment I need.

Let me tell ya about the move. Thur night I had planned to clean up the condo before moving in on Fri. Well, the floor guys were NOT done yet. AND they were cutting the wood INSIDE. Do you know how thick that layer of dust was?

Ah, so I had my girlfriend in tow but we couldn't do anything. SO I dragged her back to my old apartment, luring her with wine. We managed to pack up everything (and polish off 2 bottles). However after 2 bottles, we thought we needed another so we walked to the liquor store, thinking this was a good idea. Drunk packing is fun. We were very resourceful, however upon unpacking I couldn't find anything. Bathroom items were mixed with kitchen items. It was actually quite funny.

Friday morning my dad calls bright and early. I was seriously hurting but had to get up and hide the evidence of our debauchery the night before. (Yes, I'm 33 and still scared of my dad's scornful eye.) We decided to move all the heavy items first. I was dusting off my bedroom set (the ONLY furniture I was keeping) and it occurred to me. I hate this bedroom set. It's bulky and hardly functional. It's that rustic pine with wrought iron that was popular about 10 years back. However 10 years at the beach had warped the wood so opening and closing the dresser drawers is practically impossible. And the bed frame is ginormous. Out of the blue I said, "let's just take this directly to Goodwill." I don't think I've ever seen my father so happy (he was going to have to carry that stuff up the stairs at my new place.)

So I did it. I got rid of every piece of furniture I own (except 1 chair and end table).
Now I'm not sure I have enough money to buy anything new.
In the meantime I have my mattress on the floor, my clothes folded in piles, my undies in a basket and I'm happy as a clam.

I'll post before and after pics soon.

PS: My appliances were delivered on Sunday. This is the first time in over 10 years that I have had a washer and dryer. Can you guess what I was doing all day???

20 comments:

Judi said...

I am so excited for you jessica!! how is the man situation going?

kristen said...

Drunk packing? Never trid it. That's one way to make a really dull activity fun.

The shopping is the exciting part! Can't wait to see pics.

(And would have totally done the same if I knew my father was coming over)

X-Country2 said...

Sounds like a productive/awesome weekend. Good luck with replacing all the furnature. :o)

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

YEAH for shopping!

Petraruns said...

Way to go on dumping furniture - doesn't it feel good? Can't wait for the photos..

ShutUpandRun said...

Dang after ten years your clothes MUST need a good washing.

Amber said...

LOL! That is too funny!! Drunk packing goes by way faster but it can make sober unpacking that much less fun!

Go scouting at garage sales and thrift stores, you might find some great pieces of furniture that will just need a little touch-up!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your move was actually fun and not too stressful. Can't wait to see pictures!

Jess said...

Drunk packing is the only way to pack!

Sarah said...

Your new place sounds great! I can sympathize on the w/d- I am 31 and haven't had my own w/d since 2001 (city living). I'm moving to a new apartment (rented) this weekend and will have an in-unit washer and dryer- can't wait!
Looking forward to hearing more about your new condo!

teacherwoman said...

How exciting! You will have so much fun decorating your new place... a little at a time!

the Bag Lady said...

Congratulations on the new crib!
Have fun with furnishing it.

(Gosh, too bad I don't live closer - I've got tons of extra stuff..... :))

And I did laundry all day, too! Fun, isn't it?

Marcy said...

LMAO you sound like me! 29 and have my own fam and I'm STILL scared of what Dads will say HAHA

Jocelyn said...

congrats on the move. Drunk packing sounds amazing!

Carolina John said...

nice. this time you'll be able to get exactly what you want.

there's a zen theory i like that says that you have an equal relationship with possessions. meaning they own you just as much as you own them. when i was able to move into a new apartment with just one station wagon, i also had no credit card debt.

the theory is that the less you own, the less you are possessed and the happier you can be. enjoy your new freedom!

Chic Runner said...

LOVE it! :) Can't wait till I'm invited down for some running and drinking... :)

Heather said...

Glad you're all moved in! So much easier to move if you don't have furniture. :)

Can't wait to see the pictures.

Alisa said...

I love that you ditched everything! Apart from our table which I love and our dressers, I'd love to ditch pretty much everything else! Especially the bed, it's huge and ugly!

Sleeping with the matress on the floor reminds me of college. I think I didn't that all four years.

Enjoy your washer and dryer. I'm not sure what I will do if we go back to a place that doesn't have one.

Mrs Furious said...

Yay for having your own washer and dryer!

Susan said...

A purge indeed! Awesome! I say if you don't like it, dump it!