Monday, July 13, 2009

Runnin' on Empty

Sorry you don't get the Cliffhanger new nickname yet. I have more important topics to discuss since this is/was/is a running blog.

As a science experiment for you all, I decided to put myself in harms way and see what would happen if one were to do a long run on an empty stomach.

Ok, in all reality it went like this...
Friday night date with Swasome to Houston's. I got the fish special (Ono) and asparagus. And wine of course. Notice: No carbs except the wine. I didn't over consume, so we're all good there. But I wake up Saturday morning bright and early for my 16 miler and realize that I have NOTHING in my fridge. I mean NOTHING (well except for all the makings of a martini, but that's not good for fueling up). I shrug it off, grab my Shot Blox and Electrolyte replacement stuff and hit the road.

I decided to take a new path. I drove to the River Jetty (that dumps into the ocean) and ran from there. It's about 1.5 miles to the beach (all sidewalk, no shade). I get to the beach and things are going great. I downloaded all the obnoxiousness that is LMFAO and was rocking out. I took my Shot Blox at mile 5 and was being diligent about drinking the electrolyte stuff. It was frakin' hot at 7am. I was sweating... mucho.

I hit mile 10. I wanted to die. I popped 2 more Blox. I guess this is the "wall" everyone talks about. I've never really hit the wall before - not even in my last 2 marathons. Then again, I ate food before. DUH. I push thru the horribleness of it all. Next thing ya know I feel like I'm high as a kite. Running on air (and fast too). WTH? The real "runner's high" not just feelin' good cuz I'm running. But seriously high. Then I got to mile 14. Back to death again. I thought "holy crap I have 2 more miles and the last 2 are on the jetty with no ocean breezes and no shade." I tried to think happy thoughts and just push thru. I didn't really have another option. I swear it was the longest 2 miles ever. I could see the bridge where I would end the run, but it just wasn't getting any closer. I was feeling loopy. Like low blood sugar, calorie deficient, pass out loopy. (Yes, I know what that feels like unfortunately)

Seriously people I am smarter than this. I know how to fuel for a run. I don't know what cocky part of my brain thought I could outsmart my body. Sometimes after running a while you just take for granted that you can get up and push your body to do anything you want it to. Sometimes your body comes back to you and says "hells-to-the-no hunny bunny."

Luckily, I made it to my car. I don't really remember driving home (it's only about 2 miles). Do you think you can get a DWL = driving while loopy? I made it home. All is good in the world. I was actually fine after I shoved some old almond slivers (used for recipes) into my mouth. I think I even ate some stale crackers. Then hit the store for milk & bananas. Then I ate a homemade pizza :)

My average pace was 8:54 for 16 miles.
Just think what I could have done if I fueled properly!!!

Was I an idiot? YES.
Did I get a nice reminder lesson? YES
Do not try this at home.

24 comments:

Amy - the gazelle said...

that was a bit on the dumb side! glad you made it. impressed with your running on empty pace, though! I can't wait to see how fast you are when properly fueled!

kristen said...

I could never finish 16 miles on an empty stomach. I never understood those people. Nice pace. Very fast.

joyRuN said...

Excellent pace there on the loopy miles. 16 miles is a looonnngg way to go on empty!

Amber said...

Ugh. I can't even imagine! I feel like I'm going to pass out if I run anything over 3 miles on an empty stomach. 16!!! My god!! Glad to hear you made it through it and are alive to tell the story!

Unknown said...

yeah...i've done that too. that can get scary and it's a little bit of a kick to the head to remind you to be smart about your running.

what's FUN, though, is low blood sugar after a run when your home safe and sound. i end up "floating" through the house while i clean up my gear, get showered and then make some food. that's the time to make important phone calls. ha!

ShutUpandRun said...

Good pace considering the starvation element!

teacherwoman said...

LOL! Glad to hear you made it through that 16 miler! Wow. Pretty impressive given the fact that proper nutrition was left out of the equation! LOL

Chic Runner said...

The 16 sounds rough, I know the feeling. BUT great job! :) You rock and glad you went to houstons... I'm jealouuuuus! Okay so running asap together to catch up. When is there a "shorter" run for you? :)

Sarah said...

Lol. Oh my - good to hear you made it home safe and sound!! And I will heed your warning... ugh I can't imagine - 16 miles!

Alisa said...

Yikes! Wow!

I woulda passed out. Sadly, I too, know the loopy pass out stage.

jen said...

Dude, yikes. But I have totally done that before. Several times, in fact. We know better! But you pulled it out and had a strong run. Well done!

Kelly said...

I think that is a really good reminder though! A lot of people try this, usually because they are used to not eating for really short runs. I can run 3-4 miles without eating, but I'm sure 16 would not be good!

Lauren said...

Everyone messes up every once in a while. I'm impressed you could power through. Also, Houston's, Yum.

Jess said...

That's a great pace for the situation!

Romance said...

You are amazing.... I still have to run 16 miles- I cannot imagine doing so without fuel. scared of you..

amazing.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with fuel. great great time.

Chocolate & Chants said...

Get thee to the store and stock up that fridge chica! 16 miles on an empty stomach? Yikes! I would have passed out by mile 5. Especially in the heat.

carla said...

and now I shall have that song in my head all day long.

Miz, who is resisting the rant about fuelfuelfuel body like car yada yada yada

Anonymous said...

Wow, your time doesn't reflect how bad you felt at all. I think we have all pushed things, I know I have.

Lucas said...

Um yeah, even with all the proper fuel in the world, I never could have made 16 miles. You are amazing!

Ali said...

Every time I start training for another marathon I think I have it all figured out this time, no more beginner mistakes ... sure enough I make them!

Awesome pace, your speed is back.

Carolina John said...

wow, that's crazy. i've hit the wall a few times too, it's doesn't play games. you gots to fuel up!

RunToTheFinish said...

wow that's a great pace for no fuel! maybe being out of it works!

Aron said...

lol i have had my fair share of getting cocky over runs and not fueling right and its not fun. we just need a little reminder every now and then that it IS important and does work. nice job on the run still!!

Sarah said...

You crack me up! Seriously. Good job? haha