Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mini Freak Out

I'm about smack dab in the middle of marathon training here so I thought it would be a good time to reflect back on my goals, my plan and see where I stand.

I'll tell ya where I stand... in a big pile of doo-doo.

If you remember I had 6 things that I did last year that helped me reach kick-butt status.
So you don't have to click on the link, here they are:
  1. Fashionably Flexible
  2. Weak Weekdays: Only 3 times per week MAX and not over 5/6 miles.
  3. Cerebral Caloric Intake
  4. Luscious Longies: 3 runs of 20+ plus miles, maxing out at 22 miles.
  5. Yoga Yahoo: Continue to do Bikram at least 2 days a week - aiming for 3.
  6. Healthapotamus: Get refocused on hydration/nutrition/vitamins/supplements.

I'm feeling like a bit of a failure here. Yeah, I managed 1 and 2 pretty good. But the rest was thrown out with the bath water (who would want to keep old bath water anyway?)

I am eating whatever, whenever. Not being strategic about it and definitely not drinking enough water.

And Yoga? What is this yoga you speak of? I have not gone in over a month. WTH?

So here is the main reason I am freaking out. Next Wed I leave for a 3 week business trip. The first 2 weeks will utterly painfully stressful. I'm talkin' crazy time. I suspect I will barely have free time to pee, let alone get a long run in. The 3rd week I will have more free time, in the evenings (which I hate to run in the evenings but will if I have to).

I totally need to readjust my training plan. Because I will not be able to get a 20 miler done while traveling. And in my head I'm not being flexible because I hate to readjust my plans.

This was my plan. If I just swap July 26 and August 2, then I can manage. That puts me doing my first 20 miler this weekend. I feel pretty confident doing a 20 miler this weekend, as I did 18 last weekend and my body feels fine. Then I have 3 weeks of lower mileage and back to 20 the weekend I get back from trip. Marathoners out there... what do you think????

PS: What ever happened to my song of the day???? I was thinking of bringin' it back, but I'm not loving any music right now.

10 comments:

C said...

Breathe, woman. Life wouldn't be life if it didn't try to throw a wrench and the kitchen sink into our grand plans. I think switching the 20 miler around is a good idea. Overall, focus on what you can do and not what you can't. After the trip, worry about the rest.

Good luck!

Carolina John said...

i'm having a mini-meltdown today too! argh at us all..... but at least i did yoga this morning.

ShirleyPerly said...

That's what I would do, the 20-miler this weekend and see where you are when you get back. Life sometimes gets in the way of what we want to do and we just have to work around it. Hope your trip goes well!

Amy - the gazelle said...

on the bright side, your post totally reminded me to drink some water!

I think that you should do the 20 switch. You'll be fine.

BUT - get back to the yoga! If you can't make classes for the trip, get a couple yoga downloads on your iPod & do them in your room. They have free 20 minute yoga, and less free 60-90 minute yoga (they even have a 90 minute hot yoga recording, which is probably bikram-y).

You're going to be GREAT! HYDRATE!

Chic Runner said...

Hey girl, I think that plan sounds good! :) You will rock the 20er this weekend. I'll be thinking of you while I'm up in SF running 13.1 :)

X-Country2 said...

20 is nuthin' after 18. Knock it out this weekend, and figure out the rest when you get back. Safe travels!

Jess said...

That sounds like a reasonable plan. Good luck with the next few crazy weeks!

teacherwoman said...

I think your plan for your long runs sound good... :)

Aron said...

that is exactly what I would do... definitely switch the 20, you dont want to stress about that while on your trip. then just pick it up when you get back and do what you can in the middle... good luck girl! you will be FINE we all have our mini freak outs during training :)

RunToTheFinish said...

would you really be you without a freak out during this process..probably not? no? I think you have got the right idea with switching up the workouts..then you are really still doing the PLAN, but just when it works out best.

I think many of us have felt slackdom in the yoga and eating departments, but only you have Swasome to I'm sure keep you limber.