Tuesday, October 16, 2007

My First Marathon: The Commentary

My first marathon has come and gone. I was thinking about how to write the blog report. And honestly, I have no idea how people can remember the details of each mile. It was just a big blur to me, an exciting, tiring, excruciating, fun blur. So, here is what I do remember:

THE GOOD:
1. The best part of this experience was the support from my incredible friends and family. I had support calls coming in, flowers at my door, cheers at the finish line, presents from friends, meals purchased, beers purchased – I can go on and on. I can’t thank everyone enough – especially The Captain (for being the best boyfriend in the universe), the running girls, the cool aunt who made a sign, Dariff and Shevon for the gift certificate (pedicure, here I come), Running Pals’ mom who came and brought a sweet card and my girlfriends who drove hours just to come have a celebration drink with us. Thank you everyone sooooooooo much. I feel so loved.

2. I finished! That was the main goal. And it didn’t kill me. Actually, I rather enjoyed it - in a sick, self-punishing sort of way.

3. I met a lot of really cool people while I was running. Everyone (except for this guy who almost spit on me) was really nice. I met a "Beach Runners" trainer who is into Chi-Running, an adorable old man who totally kicked my arse in the last 5 miles, a very inspiring hot older woman who motivated me at mile 23, and a Team-In-Training member named Aaron and his trainer who really pushed me at the end. Thanks everyone!

4. The weather and scenery (for the most part) were awesome.

5. There were a lot more spectators than I thought – some really fun with treats, blasting loud music and basketballs for us to shoot.

6. The free beer at the end was a delightful treat.

7. Our hats were really cute.


THE BAD:
1. I started to really hurt at mile 6. With 20 miles to go, I dropped my pace A LOT. I lost my running partner (who totally kicked ass) and struggled with sore hips and knees for the remainder of the morning.

2. Four blisters to report

3. Porta-potties – I know this topic has probably been beat to death, but honestly – I just can’t deal with them. Before the race, I waited in the long line to use them and actually got out of line just thinking about it. Luckily, the guy behind me let me get back in line when I re-gathered my strength. When I got out of the P.P. it looked like I had been crying because my eyes were pouring out water. Is it really that cost prohibitive to get the fancy porta-potties that flush?

4. Hills – the course was supposedly “flat” but there were more hills than I had ever run. For the most part, I walked the hills and oh boy, how my quads still burn today!


THE UGLY:
1. My hair. By the end of the race it was a complete dreadlock. I tried to braid it, but that didn’t help. I took about a cup of conditioner and 30 mins of combing just to get it brush-able.

2. The smorgasbord of junk food post-race. Holy crap. We could have fed a small country. The food ordered is also a bit of a blur. A few items I can recollect: mini-corn dogs, sliders (mini burgers), sweet potato fries, fried pickles, pizza, Cold-Stone Ice Cream and Beers! (Once again, Thanks to El Cap who sponsored this lard-fest).


FINAL THOUGHT:
Will I run a marathon again? Hell yes! I'm hooked.

Song of the day: Ghettochip Malfunction (Hell Yes!) by Beck

14 comments:

Tall Girl Running said...

Been waitin' to hear this report! A HUGE congratulations to you... you went, you ran, you conquered. And to do it in 4:44 is something to be very proud of. I'm so glad to hear even though you're still hurting, you're already stoked about doing it again. Sounds like an addict is born!

Way to go, marathoner!

Sara said...

The social aspect - meeting other runners along the route and having them provide motivation and inspiration and vice versa - never occurred to me. That part of it (and the lard fest afterward) sounds really awesome. Running 20 miles in pain does not.

Maybe I'll try to run around the block in the morning. :)

Again, congrats on an incredible achievement!

Charmaine said...

I have blog envy.

Jes said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you! Man, I can't wait to run my first marathon!

Laurel said...

You are so lucky to have so many wonderful people around you for support in such an achievement! Sounds like it was a great time and I'm glad to hear you plan on doing more. Your time is great for a first marathon too! Or any marathon for that matter ;)

I AM getting really excited!! I have been so cool and collected up until today. I just cant wait to get out there!

Got any last minute advice??

a.maria said...

so very many congratulations go out to you. your first marathon is such an amazing event. it takes a lot of courage not just to complete the race, but to sign up and get through the training.

YOU ARE A MARATHONER!!! and a speedy first timer to boot!

well done. now go rest up.. you've earned it!

Ian said...

Great Job!

Nancy said...

OMG it sounds FANTASTIC. You did awesome and apparently you are REALLY loved. I'm so happy for you. You are a MARATHONER. Yeah.

zanne said...

congratulations! that's the best way to finish - hooked & ready to run another. nice job!

Jess said...

That's a good, concise commentary. I know what you mean about the rat's nest hair -- after long runs, the hair is always snarled.

Anonymous said...

Great summary.

Pictures?


...

Catra said...

Hey Girl-
Congrats on your mararhon awesome job.
No it's time to bump it up and do a Ultra that's where all the fun is at :)
Catra
P.S I love your blog.

Lauren said...

congrats on an AWESOME marathon!

:o)

Viv said...

Had to go back and read your marathon report. I loved it all, the good the bad and the ugly! All your pics of good times made my marathon itch even worse. Is there a cream or somethin for that?!? It sounds like an amazing experience and so much support. Awesome job!!